After a While

When I can't sleep I do either two things......Read or listen to music, I did the music thing the previous night....have a terrible cough......and then last night I went to the books....I hate to read books I have previously read but there are some books that you never get tired of reading, this one I recommend you all read.....Chicken Soup for the Soul Series......the particular one I am reading is Chicken Soup for the Teenage soul and in it held the most beautiful poem I have ever read......I swear it read, like something I had written it in my head, except I never had the words to write so eloquently......it instantely inspired me to write something of similar nature, but it would have felt like plagiarism so I decided to share instead....ENJOY
After a While

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans.
After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you are really strong,
And you really do have worth.


Veronica A. Shoffstall
written at age 19

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing...definitely a great poem.

    -ZGreatOne

    ReplyDelete
  2. the chicken soup books were one of the first books i started reading. love them. most especially the personal stories. i recommend them too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do agree
    i think this helps builds hope

    i like that presents arent promises.

    I know tommorow is good sha bcos i know who holds tommorow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Oye,
    Thanks Tisha.....yes o, God is great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts